The Hull and Selby Railway was promoted by the citizens of Hull to bring to trade through their port preventing it being sapped away to the developing port of Goole. The line opened from Selby to their Manor House passenger and goods station in July 1840. After lease of the line to the York & North Midland Railway a more centrally located Paragon station was opened in May 1848. A link line from Straddlethorpe Jct. (now Gilberdyke) to Thorne, through Goole, was opened in 1869. This enabled NER trains to run direct to Doncaster and allow the MS&LR and L&YR access to Hull by running powers. The Axholme Joint Railway was an amalgamation of two light railways; the Goole & Marshland and the Isle of Axholme, authorised in 1898 and 1899 respectively. By October 1902 they had been acquired by the NER and L&YR; the 23 miles of line opening between 1903 and 1909.