The first line covered in this volume between Scarborough & Whitby was independently promoted and financed but later decided to form links with the North Eastern at both ends. Before opening in 1885 it had also reached agreement with the NER for them to operate the line in return for 50% of the gross receipts. At Prospect Hill, Whitby, the S&W Rly formed a junction with the Whitby, Redcar & Middlesbrough Union Railway. This concern had been taken over by the NER due to financial difficulties. As a result of substantial re-engineering the line finally opening to Loftus in late 1883. North of Loftus the Cleveland Railway had already opened their line from Brotton in 1865 to serve ironstone mines. The NER’s Saltburn Extension Railway linked Brotton with Saltburn in 1872. At Carlin How Jct., Skinningrove, the steeply graded Zig-Zag branch opened in 1865 to serve another ironstone mine.