A Postcard from Picton Junction
This month’s card comes from Picton Junction, North Yorkshire, on the old Leeds Northern (Leeds & Thirsk) route to Stockton. The view is from the signal cabin looking north-west. The North Yorkshire & Cleveland line to Stokesley and Whitby diverged behind the camera; originally there were two signal cabins at Picton, one at the level crossing and one at the junction a little further south. The layout was rationalised and the junction cabin closed in January 1905. The station house, seen here, still stands today, with a two-storey extension where the booking office and waiting room stood behind the platform canopy.