Willington Dene Viaduct
The Newcastle & North Shields Railway opened in 1839 and included two remarkable viaducts designed by John and Benjamin Green, at Ouseburn and Willington. The arches were made from laminated timber. The viaducts were rebuilt in iron between 1867 and 1869 by the Weardale Iron & Coal Company to the designs of NER Engineer T E Harrison, preserving their original shape and form.
Through the courtesy of Phil Kirkland and Ian Hughes we are able to see this modern view along the deck of Willington Dene viaduct during structural renewal work. The bridge now carries the Tyne & Wear Metro tracks. Willington Dene and Ouseburn viaducts are both Grade II listed structures.